Pages

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Man-O-Man

If you have not seen South African runner Caster Semenya you should google her. She is a real looker.
Her backstory? She is the athlete that has been kicking ass and taking names in track and field so some haters went and called the International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF) and told them that they think that Semenya is a man! So the IAAF is demanding that she take a "gender verification test."
What upsets me the most about this situation is the way that I have heard the news reporting on this. Instead of reporting on how...um...sexist and disgusting this is, even if the chick does look like a dude, they are belittling and insulting her! A loser on one channel was like, "Of course she is a man. She doesn't have breasts!" My jaw dropped! Many athletes, including gymnasts and swimmers do not have breasts. Hell, many average everyday women do not have breasts. Then they went on to discuss how Semenya has a hard face; that she is not attractive. I personally was not aware that if you were not a pretty woman than you were not a woman at all. The only thing that is not being taken into account when figuring out Semenya's sex is that she does is fact have A VAGINA! Isn't that all we need to know?
The insults have gotten so terrible that Semenya's father had to come forth and be like yes everybody, I was there when she was born and she is a girl! How insulting.
I did not want to go here people but I am going to pull a Ne-Ne Leaks and "Keep It Real." It rubs me the wrong way to watch White news figures dedicating time on their shows to talk about how ugly this Black 18-year-old is. Not cool. I also think the ploys that are being used to discredit Black athletes from imprisonment from shooting yourself to accusations of being a man are said. Furthermore, I don't like how male reporters are accrediting physical characteristics besides having a vagina to what makes a girl a girl. When we put these power in the hands of men and science, all women are in trouble. Hell, if half of these same men saw their wives' legs without being waxed, they would be labeled men too.
There are those that are saying that physically Semenya is a woman but hormonally she may be a man. Maybe, maybe not. I guess what bugs me the most about all of this is how they are treating this kid like a science project. If I were her, no matter if the test results said I was a woman or a man, I would sue for pin-pointing me and putting my business in the streets.
The only good thing that could come out of any of this is getting our eyes opened. It is not the old days anymore. Folks are taking hormones and getting surgeries that makes are definitions of gender gray instead of black and white. Whatever Semenya's outcome, re-defining/ addressing gender is something that is going to have to be dealt with on a legal and social level.
As for Semenya, I hope that she doesn't let the bad press get her down. All she needs to do is keep working hard, and take the negativity like a man...I mean, woman...I think.

No comments: