Pages

Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Asexual

Another close friend assumed I am an asexual. Sigh.
I told my friend Alex during our last conversation that I think that I have a crush on a man that goes to my church, and she thought that was interesting because she didn't think I was interested in men...or women...or anything! Sadly, she is not the first friend to assume this.
"Why do you think this about me?" I asked. I have to say, I was a little hurt, just as I was a lot hurt when my other friend suggested the same thing a few years back.
"I have never seen you with a man," she began. "I have never heard you really talk about any guys. I have never seen you with a woman. I just thought you were asexual."
"Well, I'm not," I defended, even though everything she said was true. So, defensively, I said, "What am I supposed to do? Men just aren't interested in me, and the ones that are suck!"
#facts. We need only to look to the laundry list of men I liked in college who didn't know I was alive, and the ones that did were very strategic in ignoring me. I am comfortable with saying that the men that liked me after college were complete and total liars. There was the man who got a girl pregnant in a club. The long-distance guy who refused to come see me. The married man. The man with the criminal record and side babies. Why would I want to introduce those gems to anyone in my life?
And let me just say that I don't have any beef with the asexual community. I think that they are on to something. But since I am not asexual, the fact that those closest to me that have known me my entire life think I am sucks.
"So what am I supposed to do? No one is interested," I said.
"You need to go for different kinds of men," she instructed. "And you need to try harder."
"I am trying!" I cried. Honestly, I'm not. Looking for love was literally making me crazy. Three years ago, I cuddled in the corner with my list of crushes and happily resigned to my fantasy love life. I had to for my heart and mental health! And if that makes me an asexual, so be it...I guess😞

No comments: