Pages

Monday, January 27, 2020

Vision

Since I turned 35, I notice that I have to squint to see things that are far away from me. Losing my vision is all I need in my so dramatic/traumatic life. And now, as if not being able to see things isn't annoying enough, people are beginning to notice and are putting in their unasked for two scents.
"You need glasses!" a woman I volunteer with hollered in my face. "I see you squinting over there."
"Thank you," I said, rolling my eyes.  
"Go get your eyes checked," she said, nibbling on a cookie. 
I wanted to slap that cookie out of her hand. Why oh why would I go get my eyes checked when I just got them checked...when I was 17. I remember it like it was yesterday. My mom took me to the poor people eye doctor that was located in a grocery store. They said I needed glasses and I received a fashionless pair of basic ones that were a little too big for my face. On top of that, I didn't really see a vision difference between the way things looked with or without them on. I felt I didn't need them, wore them a couple of times in college, then tossed them someplace, never to be worn again. 
Now I wish I knew where they were because I would put them on to keep from going to the eye doctor. Going blind is one of the scariest things I can think of. All your senses are important, but not being able to see has to be terrible. Plus, I remember when I got my eyes checked when I was in the third grade. They put fluid in my eyes and I had to wear some type of paper glasses and stay clear of the sun. That was not fun. Neither is far away things being blurry. 
Of course my fears are running away with me. What if I have a brain tumor or some type of mad eye disease? I won't know for a long time. I really have no intention of going to the eye doctor. 

No comments: