Pages

Monday, June 8, 2020

The Hug

The other day I went with my Aunty to go pick up a pizza we'd ordered. While she was in the restaurant, I saw my childhood friend CeCe leaving the gas station.
"CeCe!" I yelled.
She came over to me and I was so happy to see her that I lost myself and I gave her a hug. Immediately, an alarm went off in my brain. NO TOUCHY! She didn't seem bothered by it, but I was so scared that I could've contracted Covid-19 that I almost threw up right there.
It's not my fault! In the area we were in, no one had on a mask. A young couple was making out by the burger joint pick up window an arm's length away from us. NO ONE had on a mask. It was a beautiful sunny day. I was seduced I tell you by the beautiful weather and by the fact that no one, and I do mean no one around me, seemed to be practicing any Covid precautions.
I always have known that touch is my love language, but Covid has shown this to me head on. I have literally be jonesing for a hug and as we all know, hugs are now a no-no.
You would think I would have gotten this through my head the last time I was in the grocery store. I ran into a grandmother from my nephew's pre-K play date, which has sense been Covid-canceled, and I was so happy to see her that I leaned in to give her a hug.
"No hugs!" she yelled so loudly that everyone in the store froze. The security looked over like he was ready to cuff me right there. Again, hugs are a no-no! Especially when it comes to elderly people.
I have tried hugging myself, but it's not the same, go figure. At the risk of sounding way to optimistic, I can't wait until Covid is over. I can't wait to touch folks again.

No comments: