Pages

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Boys: The New Girls

After doing the math in my head, I have come to the conclusion that it had to be around 1978 when women started giving birth to male babies that had a gene that caused them to sprout vaginas around the age of 20-years old.
On Halloween, my girls Dev, Tasia, Court and I went to The Velvet Room for a costume party. And as I expected, most of the guys that showed up did not dress up. They just stood against the wall and made disgusting comments about the girls and the costumes they were wearing. In between comments, they checked out each other's outfits and nursed their bottles of Smirnoff Ice. They were rude, they were obnoxious, and as Dev politely put it, they were "douchey." The thing that stood out most about these guys was how obsessed they were with their appearance. Their eyebrows were shaped. Their nails were manicured. They smelled fruity. And for lack of a better word, they looked pretty. When did it become okay for heterosexual men to be so feminine, and then not just feminine, but assie too?
I listen to the new R&B songs today, and they sadden me. I love Ne-Yo, but his new theme is all about the "independent" woman; the woman that needs no help with anything- a "boss" if you will. I am all for the woman that is not dependent on a man, but I find that in a lot of these song lyrics from Ne-Yo and singers like him, the same thing that makes the woman independent, makes that man pathetic. These new age men love these independent chicks because they pay for their own meals and drive their own cars on dates and pull out the man's chair. Whatever happened to masculinity? Whatever happened to shivery? And why are dating single women okay with this? I am all for "trading places" as my imaginary boyfriend Usher would say, but it seems that traditional gender roles are being shot to Hell. This would be fine...I guess, if it was not, in turn, turning today's young men into...um...bitches. Soft, irritating, spoiled, sorry...bitches! And let me just say for the record that I do not have a problem with clean cut men. There is nothing I hate more than a guy who lets his pants hang off his butt. But there has to be a line between the two to the point that I still at least still consider the guy a guy.
With all this being said, I can not wait for New Year's Eve. I know that all the fellas will be in rare form. Perhaps they will actually where tampons with their fake pinky rings and feax-swade jackets.

No comments: