Pages

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Avoiding Being "Blessed"

Last weekend I went out to lunch with my aunt and a woman we met recently, Pat. She is pretty nice, but I get the feeling she might be a super Christian. And no, I do not have a problem with Christians. I consider myself one, although I have been known to be a bit...half-baked at best. No, by super I mean extremist. I have the feeling she may be an avid Fox News watcher.
We actually had a pretty good lunch until I, being the nosebud that I am, asked her if she had kids. She said she had two. She asked me if I had any, and I said no. She asked me if I wanted any, and I said, no. This is all my fault. I should have learned by now that whatever the situation, whoever the person, always say you want kids to a person that already has them. It cuts down on a potentially uncomfortable conversation, and, somehow, it just seems rude not to.
Well, after I told her I did not want children, I saw that look on her face and immediately tried to take it back. So I fell back on my old reliable: "I don't want kids right now." She was not convinced. I simply sat back in my chair and waited on whatever whopper she was going to hit me with.
"I did not think that I wanted kids either," she told me honestly,"until God blessed me with two."
I let out a sigh of relief...but she was not done.
"But you see, God wants us to be fruitful and multiply. If you don't, you are just being selfish."
I looked at this woman, this petite, sweet woman, who has been "blessed" with two kids...and I had to fight the urge to laugh! Whatever! It was evident to me that this lady wouldn't have had kids herself if she had not have been "blessed." Give me a friggin break! Note to readers: married people, people with kids, they are always looking for people to join their fraternities of misery. Don't believe the hype people, don't believe the hype.

3 comments:

cellotlhicks said...

Lol. I don't desire that 'blessing' either yet. Yuck. I will consider it in my 30s when some of this disgusting debt is gone and I don't feel sick imagining all the things they will need. She is probably miserable and trying t make it seem Godly. having enough money and wisdom to avoid pregnancy is Godly too. I choose that type.

Gardenia Grows said...

being selfish for the next few years is perfectly ok. I am ok if the trend of self preservation over passionate altruism rides with you way beyond 30 :)

Haynes said...

Clay check out this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJZkBWBashA