Pages

Saturday, February 4, 2017

I MARCHED YA'LL!

I am sure that by now, many of you have heard about the women's marches that took place across the nation. Women and supporters for the cause marched across the the US on issues pertinent to our rights, and the turnout was AWESOME! I have to be honest: I was not going to go. I knew that there was a march taking place in DC, and there was no way that I could get there. Many of the women that I work with said that there was a march that was going to take place right here in Atlanta that they were going to attend, yet I still was not compelled to participate. I knew the weather was going to suck that weekend, and let's be real, I hate walking. But then my friend Tasia said that she was going and bringing a friend and asked if I wanted to come along. I said yes. I knew that Tasia wouldn't leave me downtown if I couldn't walk as fast as her. I was pissed about the threats that President Trump was making against reproductive rights, and I wanted to make a sign. Anyway, how many chances do you get to be a part of history?
The weatherman was right: the weather was pretty bad. It had rained earlier that morning and Tasia wanted to back out. I was so hyped about my super cute sign that I insisted that we still go, and I am so happy that I did. The energy was vibrant and pure and exciting. There weren't just women there- there were men and transpeople and children and LGBT supporters. I was also shocked at the number of senior women who showed up to walk. When I turn 80, I pray that I have half of their energy. Many of them stormed passed me on the walk to the capital. 
Because it rained and the walk started late, I was scared that the many people wouldn't show and that some that had come would leave. But that wasn't the case: once the walk got started it was on! There was singing and chanting and beats on a drum and even some crying. And yes, there was a pro-life activist that came who was yelling on a bullhorn with a sign, but nothing went down.
When we made it to the capital there was music and celebration and joy and of course, snipers on the roof of the building. Sadly, my camera is too bootleg for me to have gotten a good photo of them on the roof with guns. After the walk, Tasia and I were even interviewed by HERS Magazine on why we chose to march! I have to say, I am so glad that I went. It was an awesome day! 


But please believe me when I say that, after the walk, I paid for us to hitch a Lyft ride back to Tasia's car. I'm sorry, but this revolutionary was exhausted. Until the next march ya'll!

No comments: