Pages

Monday, November 5, 2018

BoyMenBabies

This past weekend I put on a teen love and relationship panel for a girl's organization that I volunteer with. I invited teen boys to come and answer the girls' deep, burning questions about dating and what boys their age really think. The panel was fun! I got proof of what I had suspected as a teen: that boys are emotional messes too that just don't show it. I also confirmed something that I had been suspecting since I was about 20. Allow me to explain.
One of the questions that the girls had for the boys was about friends with benefits.
"Boys who want you to be a friend with benefits are just trying to be a player," one of the 15-year-old panelists said.
"I'd like to add to that," Ron, the sexy male chaperones the boys brought with them said. He then proceeded to say, in college words, the same thing that the boy said. It then dawned on me: men are just tall boys!
Back when I had the energy, heart, spirit, emotional steadiness and low self-esteem to date, I was always left hanging cerebrally. Then I had to check my ego. I mean, could it have been possible that I was smarter than all these guys?? I see now that I was not. I was just ahead of them. You know, just like how they say that girl toddlers learn to crawl and use the potty before boy toddlers do? I was discussing politics with men who sure, were my age, but really didn't have anything to say about anything outside of Naruto and basketball.
This was proven again recently at church. This hot, seemingly smart guy that I have met there told me how he had not heard back from a job he interviewed for. I asked if he had sent a thank you email after the interview.
"No," he said. "I would send them a thank you if I get offered the job."
"No, that's not right."
"Yeah it is." He was giving me the same pushback that my 6-month old nephew gave me a few weeks ago when trying to give him his ear infection medicine. This guy is 37!
Maybe I am late to the party on this, but I feel like, in my season of manlessness, I am getting even wiser. Stay tuned for my next love epiphany.

No comments: