Pages

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Playing House

When I was in kindergarten, the teacher sent home a letter to my mother telling her to buy me a bra before I came back to school because my huge boobs were distracting the other kids in the class. By the second grade, I was already in women's shoes, and by the third grade up until college, I was either the tallest girl or tallest person in my class. I say this to say that I have always developed faster than my peers.
So why the Hell, may I ask, am I developing at a slow pimps pace on the relationship front, a good 13 years behind the people I know my age?
Today I was surfing Facebook and was generally disgusted by the never-ending pictures of everyone I went to school with who is now in like one of those baby marriage relationships. Looking at all the pics of these couples joined at the hip at the zoo and in their kitchens and at the mall and so on and so on caused me to log out for like the first time in God knows how long. Looking at the displays of syrupy sweet happiness was spiraling me into madness.
I remember a time when it was hip to be single. Of course, I was five at the time but I remember all the women around me talking about their fun single lives. Now, everyone is in a mad dash to link with someone, and not in a casual way, but for real, for real. And of course, those single sistahs from my childhood are surfing internet dating sites crying with their fingers crossed.
Examples? Well, I have two friends that are in long distance relationships: my buddy Matt and my bestest Haynes. And these are not like the ones from freshman year that everyone was allegedly in. They are actually faithful to the other party involved.
My friend Quinny recently moved in with his girlfriend, a move that I feel has scootched him one inch closer to the altar. And numerous other friends I have are on on their way to the altar. And seriously, not like in elementary school when a boy bought you a cookie and you were married for a week.
I want to be happy for these people, but since I am a closet hater by design, I simply can not be, and only because I do not know where this leaves me. As much as I like being independent, I do not want to join the class of '84 on Match.com!
Yes, I know that I am still young and that I technically "still have time," but I don't want to blink and look around and be the only person in the group without somebody. I don't want to be that friend that is always getting invited to the cookout because someone's single cousin is in town.
Fo-Fum. Why complain about something that I can't change at the moment, right? I may not have a man, but I have other exciting stuff going on. I have a pretty swingin' social life if I do say so myself. As a matter of face, my friend Kelly invited me to her 4th of July cookout. Let's keep our fingers crossed:)

No comments: