Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2018

Holls and the Gyno

Holly, you can not go through your 30s without going to the gynecologist! Bells texted me. I could actually hear her shrill voice yelling at me through the text, tapdancing on my nerves.
Yes, I know that you are supposed to go the gynecologist regularly even though I do not. You see, I choose to treat my vagina with the medicine of my ancestors: soap, water, and prayer.
There is no type of doctor on the face of the earth that I trust LESS than a gynecologist. However, my mentor told me that 2018 needs to be the year when I become proactive, not reactive with my health. So after my primary care visit, I began to look into finding a gynecologist.
Before I even started my search for a gyno, I knew that it was going to be a chore. There is that small, HUGE issue regarding me not being insured so my gyno would have to be cheap. So I am prepared for the doctor I find to see two patients at a time, reuse dirty tools, or operate out of a gas station bathroom. I also would like for my gyno to be a she, and not have a ton of bad reviews online. She would also have to understand that I have self-diagnosed vag shame and am HIGHLY uncomfortable with anyone taking a peek at my goods.
Searching local doctors in Atlanta was hard. I could tell from the location of the doctor's offices that I couldn't afford to be seen there. And then I came across a doctor who was perfect. I was taken by her smile and professional photo. Her eyes were warm. I just felt like I knew her, then I realized I did. She went to college with me.
This doctor is actually one of those upperclassman girls from the bathroom at homecoming which reminded me of my number one gyno requirement: I can't know her! I don't need someone I know looking at my vag and judging me and then telling my business. And let me just say that I know that doctors talk! I can't have my graduating class knowing my stats. They know too much about me as is.
So unofficially, my gyno search is still going on, although, I do think I have found something better: a self-pap kit I came across online. I will keep you posted.

No comments: