Pages

Friday, March 8, 2013

Failing the Pap Test

Deciding to go get the Pap Test that I am 5 years late for at Planned Parenthood was...an adventure.
I woke up at the crack of dawn to get there early so I could beat the slutty GA State girls there who go for birth control refills. I chose the coldest day in Atlanta to go and had on dress, so on arrival, I was already in a weird mood. Especially after my Muslim cab driver acted like taking me there was was going to automatically send us both to Hell.
So I get there, sign in, and fill out the paper work. I am hella nervous, of course, because everyone I had told that I was going, finally, was alarmed at how long it had taken me. I had worked myself up to tears by the time the nurse at the window decided to keep us all entertained by turning on a horrifying documentary about HIV/AIDS in America.
"This is so sad," a woman told the nurse at the window.
"I know. That is why I close the window, so I can't hear it."
Pause.
I was eventually called back and seen by the nurse practitioner. She was very nice. She let me cry for no reason and allowed me to have a full on breakdown as I gave her unasked for explanations about my fears of sex and disease.
One thing the trip showed me is how uncomfortable I am with my lady parts. All the vag pics on the wall gave me radiating heart burn down to my toes.
All and all, I am glad that I went. Although UNCOMFORTABLE, and I do mean UNCOMFORTABLE, it was something that had to be done. I even got a breast exam because, as the nurse told me with a smile, "Women in their 20s do die of Breast Cancer."
An intense day, but again, glad I went.