Pages

Friday, March 22, 2013

The Crying Black Boy Post

The other day I was at the bus stop, waiting on the bus to go to the store. I was sitting next to a Black woman and her 4-year-old son. He was being scolded. Apparently, he lost his scull cap in daycare. You know, the little knit winter caps that come 100 for a dollar at Wal-Mart?
Man, this mother ripped this kid a new one. It was painful to witness but I was flat out staring. She was going in on this kid and he was crying and embarrassed. She was humiliating him and knew it over a cap that cost  a buck! I wanted to pick him up and run down the street screaming!
"This is the fifth damn hat you've lost! What do you be doing with them? Once you take it off, put it in your bookbag!"
Sure, what she was saying doesn't sound that bad, but it was the delivery guys.
"I'm going to tell your daddy you lost another one!"
"No! He's gonna hit me!" the little boy cried.
Yikes. I almost started crying. The little boy started pleading with her not to tell like he was pleading for his life! He was so happy to see the bus coming that I thought that he was going to jump in front of it!
I have been thinking about that boy for days. I felt like I knew him, and I am realizing now that I do. He is going to grow up to be the guy I see everyday that only blasts offensive 2 Chainz songs when Black women are in earshot. He is the guy in college that I couldn't stand that decided to go to an HBCU even though he CLEARLY hated Black women.
I don't have kids. I don't know if I want any for sure, but I have always fanticized about having a son. Dear God, if you do bless me with a son, please, first off, give me the wisdom not to name his something stupid. Also, let me be gentle and caring and let him feel wanted so he doesn't become either a wimpy or unproductive Black male with sagging pants and a Wiz Khalifa inspired hair do. Don't let me be that lady on the bus that picks her baby up out of the stroller by his armpit and please, let me be nurturing. Don't let me be the skull cap curse out mom. Amen.