Pages

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Vehicular Homicide

Yesterday my friend Vanity came over and had dinner with me- a good old Southern poor people meal of black-eyed peas and rice.
The last time she came over, she told me that our mutual friend Charnae was working at a prison. This visit, she clarified that she is not working at the jail...SHE IS IN PRISON!
Charnae was one of my bestest friends in the whole wide world when we were tweens and teens. You couldn't ask for a better friend than Charnae. We used to spend our weekends taking the train to different malls across the city. Aw, good times.
My last visit with Charnae was at my 23rd birthday party at Hooter's. Afterwards she came with me and my college friends to the Apache Café and I realized on the way there that she had become a bit of a wild child. Her boyfriend came to pick her up from the Café and I was not pleased. He was a grease ball with one of those cars that has lights that glow underneath it. No bueno.
Since then, according to Vanity, she had been working and dating until one day, she was driving home drunk, and killed her friend who was a passenger in the car.
Now she is doing five years. The prison website was a little confusion. She is either doing five years or its five years before she is up for parole.
The whole thing made the hairs rise on my arms not only because I was very close to her at one time, but because something similar happened to me!
About two years ago, a friend and I were coming home from the club and she was driving me home. She had been drinking which became apparent when she ran over a median. She could have killed me! I could have killed us both by letting her drive impaired with no objection.
I am sad that my friend is in jail. She is a girly girly who likes to dress cute and get her hair done. She likes dates and going to the mall and eating hot wings, lol. I am feeling some type of way about this. I think I will write her a letter today.