Pages

Thursday, June 4, 2015

Tatyana Ali Talks TEACHER

Poverty and its correlation to a good education continues to be a hot botton issue in this country. In the film TEACHER, which is screening this month at the LA Film Festival, actress Tatyanna Ali addresses this issue head on.
TheBGInTheCity: Tell us about your role in TEACHERS.
Tatyana Ali: I play a teacher, and I was interested in doing it because it poses an interesting dilemma: how far can a teacher go to help a student? And where are the lines, especially when poverty is involved? My character has a real affinity for her student and goes out of her way to help her. 

TheBGInTheCity: What is the message that you hope gets across in the film? 
TA: I hope it shows where education and poverty intersect in the lives of the people involved. We make assumptions of students based on grades, and it's an unfair assumption.

TheBGInTheCity: Can you remember any of your favorite teachers? Who were they and why were they your favorites?
TA: I am blessed to have had amazing teachers. There was Mrs. Howard in the 3rd grade, Portia Adams and my other tutors on The Fresh Prince, My high school Intro to Philosophy teacher Dr. Hvolreok and my college counselor. Without him, I would not have gone to Harvard.

TheBGInTheCity: You are a very well-known actress, but I have seen you on YouTube supporting lesser known actresses like Andrea Lewis of Black Actress. Why?
TA: Because I wouldn't be here if other actresses wouldn't have given me a chance. I am interested in working with talented, gifted people. Whether they are known or not is a matter of timing and time. 

TheBGInTheCity: On a beauty note, we have been fans of your hair since you were a child actress. What is your hair routine? 
TA: I try to keep things natural. I learned from my grandmother to use a rosemary rinse. I take the rosemary, make a tea, then rinse my hair with it. It makes my hair strong. 

*TEACHER will be playing at the LA Film Fest through Film Independent's Project Involve Program on June 11.

No comments: