Pages

Monday, July 3, 2017

Based on a T.R.U. Story: My trip to the 2 Chainz Trap House

By now, I am sure that everyone has heard about the 2 Chainz Trap House, the house that he has painted pink here in Atlanta as a promotional tool for his latest album, Pretty Girls Like Trap Music (which is true). Since it has opened, it has been a hot spot for 2 Chainz fans, teen twerkers, Instagram models looking for a place to have photo shoots, and the general curious public. At 32-years-old, I was sure that I was too old to partake in the trap fun. But, after seeing the story that was done on Wendy Williams about it (click here), I got scared that the city was going to close it down. Not one to miss out on history, I recruited friends to go with me. This is my story. 
The front of the Trap House 
"You are going to like it, it's lit!" my LYFT driver assured me as we weaved through the streets of Atlanta beneath a ferocious sky of storm clouds. We somehow avoided the traffic, which was backed up down the street because of people slowing down to take pictures of the house as they passed. The moment I got out of the LYFT, I was greeted by rain...and security cursing out a tall blonde girl. She was walking off the property with her photographer as she flipped them off. 
"You think you a model? You ain't no model! You not pretty enough to be a model!" one of the security guards yelled after the girl. 
"Ooooooh!!" jeered what looked to be a group of pre-teen White boys from the porch.
I obviously wore the wrong pair of shoes to the house as I raced to the steps. My shoes were slipping and sliding and I had to balance on the trap stove (a spray painted pink stove in front of the house) as to not fall. The crowd cleared pretty quickly because of the rain, and after everyone ran for shelter, it was just me, security, a photographer, two girls who were there having a selfie photo shoot, and my GROWN friends. 

My friends and other Trap House visitors on the trap porch, waiting for it to stop raining
 My goal for the visit was to actually go inside of the house. I couldn't, the door was locked. But I did look inside through the bars on the door. And no, there were no bricks of coke and stacks of money. There were paintings. 
"They are going to have a sip and paint event here tonight," said one of the security guards. "They had one yesterday too."
Apparently, even though the trap house is a promotional tool, it is also an event space. 
I also asked security if the house was going to be closed down. 
"This is private property, ain't nothing they can do," he assured me. "The police been here. The word "Trap" was supposed to be gone two days ago and it's still here. If it closes down, it's because they [the leasers] wanted to leave, not because they forced them to."
Sarina and Aria as we waited for it to stop raining

Talking to security as we waited on the rain to let up, they told me that a big part of their job is keeping cars from parking directly in front of the house, which happened a few times while I was there. This is a problem for visitors because there isn't a lot of places to park around the house. Many of the surrounding businesses have put orange cones in front of their parking, letting Trap House visitors know the parking is only for customers. That didn't stop people from parking far away and walking blocks down to the house. 
Me in front of the house with 
Me and the my traptastic friends




Once our friend Tay arrived, we decided to begin taking our selfies, even in the rain. She was disappointed because the pink car that was once parked outside of the house was gone. Apparently, it had been vandalized.  ðŸ˜‘ Word to the wise: if you go visit the trap house in the rain, make sure your phone is waterproof. It was a circus trying to get our phones to take a decent pic with us having to wipe the screens a million times. 
As the sun came out, the crowd I had seen on the news had begun to come back. I was surprised at the number of kids that showed up, unaccompanied by adults. My favorite visitors were the drug dealers pretending to make it rain with REAL money for pics. I found $30 bucks😉
Once I got home, I posted my pic on IG. One of my college friends came for me, saying that he was "not here for a trap house, pink, or not." I get it. I'm woke. I understand the irreparable damage and reinforcement of stereotypes this house brings. It really is a disgrace. With that being said, I suggest you go. Just don't go in the rain. 

No comments: