Pages

Friday, August 4, 2017

Self Important

I had a good guy friend named Johnathon when I was in college. What made this friendship special was that I wasn't in love with him. Many of you know how easy it is for me to fall in love with a guy, or at least think that I am. Well, it was even worse in college, but not having romantic feelings for Johnathon set the stage for what I thought would be a solid, opposite-sex friendship. He'd complain to me about his girlfriends. I would complain to him about my job. There was no sexual tension because there was no attraction on either end. I mean really, it was beautiful.
Then he got engaged. I know. It's like the end of this tale could write itself. Long story short, I met his fiance, she accused me of having sex with him, she apologized, then I didn't hear from him for FIVE YEARS.
I have to tell you, this whole thing was like a dagger to the heart. I mean, I was really sad, playing the tragic events over and over in my head, missing my friend. For a moment there, I had even assumed that she had killed him because his death could be the only reason why I hadn't heard from him for so long, right?
Lies.
Recently I chatted with this old pal on Facebook chat. The convo was very surface. How are you? What are you doing? After about the fifth surface question I realized that HE HAD NO IDEA THAT I HAD BEEN MAD AT HIM THIS WHOLE TIME! For five years, I had been fuming, wondering how a so-called friend could cut me off like that. And meanwhile, he was married and having a blast, un-phased and living his life.
Here is the sad but true lesson I learned from all of this: you are self-important. You are important to yourself. No matter how much you think you mean to anyone, and I am talking both friends and family, you are overestimating. You could be really dealing with some issues caused by a friend or loved one, and they will be living life as if everything is all good. And it will be because guess what? Come on, lean forward so I can whisper in your ear. Ready? You. Are. Self. Important. As you better be. Because those people in your life that are not you do not care.
Ah honesty. It stings, but is also refreshing, like a cold glass of ice water to the face.

No comments: