Pages

Friday, June 5, 2009

Baby Bells

Lately, I find myself wanting a baby, even though I generally do not like kids.
It all started when I was still in college and went to the children's service at my church. Usually, I dodge these services because the kids cannot sing, I hate their never-ending little ribbon dances, and they are just overall annoying. But this particular service the kids sang and I cried. They just looked so cute!
Needless to say, I was turned off by my emotions.
Now, whenever I see a baby I have to stop and comment on how cute he or she is and dangle my fingers in its face and do that annoying baby talk. It's like I separate from myself, and I see myself mingling with the baby and I'm like, "Quit it!" But I can't.
Don't worry, I'm not going to have a baby. I actually can't think of anything more devastating to my future than having a baby right now, but I do think about them a lot.
These feelings have even spilled into how I look at men. If I find myself liking a guy a small voice will say in my head, "He would make a good father," which is odd because, due to my own personal daddy issues and issues with men in general, I always felt that if I did have a kid, I would probably be a single mother.
So what do I do? Do I ignore my urges forever and one day possibly regret it, or do I one day have a kid and hate myself for giving up all my freedoms and dedicating my life to a little person who will one day leave me?
I guess it is too soon to tell. Until I get my life figured out, I guess I will just satisfy my mommy needs by catching as many children's services as possible.

1 comment:

cellotlhicks said...

God, it is starting to hit me too...a combination of stuff.
I DON'T want one right now. I thank God on mothers day and on broke no money in my account days that I don't have some kid looking at me expecting a meal and some shoes.
But....I saw this show where someone had a baby and actually for the first time thought it would be so awesome to hold my own one day...
Maybe my clock is starting to tick. But I hope it does it slowly and quietly cause I am busy.