Pages

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Pray About It

Lately I have been scared to pray. Not sure why. I'm guessing because I just assume that God is tired of hearing the same bullshit from me. "Get me out of here!" "Give me a high score on the GRE even though I didn't really study." "Send me a man!" "Let this infection clear up on its own," and blah, blah, blah.
Then today I read my friend Quinton's status and he said that he didn't think he was praying enough.
I don't think, I know that I am not praying enough, and oddly enough I blame J.C...Jesus Christ if you're nasty. Get it? Janet Jackson? Never mind.
When I was a kid I prayed every night for no other reason than my grandma told me to. She was so persistent about it that I figured that if I didn't pray something bad would happen. So one day I decided I wouldn't pray, and I didn't for like a week. And after I didn't die, I just decided to pray whenever I felt good and damn ready. I wish that I would have had a random pain or witnessed a car crash or something that would have ran me back to my knees with my hands clasped and eyes closed.
Besides the faith lost as a child, I hate asking for things. I mean, isn't God supposed to know everything? My grandmother has Alzheimer's. I fear that my Aunt is going to kick my family out of her house and I will have to sell my ass in order to pay for my family to live in an extended stay hotel as well as to buy us prepackaged grits to eat for all three meals. My mom is unemployed. Plus I'm always tired and I live in consistent fear of life pretty much and feel that I am just two seconds away from a breakdown...if I had the energy to have one. Dare I pose the question, but how shitty does shit have to get before God steps in?
Man...that question gave me the chills. Sorry God, I was just jivin'.
Once my friend Frances described God as a really cool boyfriend. If this is the case, I'm in trouble. I'm like the worst girlfriend on the books. I nag. He gives and I take and take and take, rarely a thank you. I don't introduce him to my friends and I ALWAYS question his whereabouts. He satisfies me and I don't reciprocate. OK, maybe that one went a bit too far, but you get the drift. Hopefully, he doesn't dump me.
Well, today I talked to my buddy Rae that has hit some hard times. She was telling me all what is going on in her life, and I didn't know what to tell her, so I told her to pray about it. Now I have always hated it when people told me that. I always felt like people who tell you that just don't have any good advice and think that saying that makes them sound profound. But with all that's going on in life and in the world in general, I found that I told her to pray about it because there is literally nothing left to do.

1 comment:

LISA VAZQUEZ said...

Hey there!

As a minister, I think that our prayer life reflects the spiritual intimacy we have (or DON'T have) with Christ.

Many Christians think that prayer time has to be on their knees and in total silence. There are many times when I am enjoying my day and I will start singing a praise and worship song to God ...yes...out loud...

Prayer is talking AND listening to God. It is important to go through your day and just say "God, I am listening to You."