Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Sexting...WHAT?

So my sister tells me yesterday while I'm cooking that she learned about the dangers of sexting in school. My sister is 11. Apparently, this sexting business is such a big deal, that valuable time had to be taken away from fractions and the solar system to tell the little nasties that it is not a good idea to text anyone, particularly a fellow horny, pre-teen peer a nude picture of yourself. They had to be told this?
What bothers me about these 90s babies is that they have to be told EVERYTHING! They have little to no common sense and zilch street smarts. As a child, I watched Tom and Jerry Kids like every morning. There were anvils being dropped on people's heads. But I never dropped the iron on my baby brother's head because I knew he would die! The 90s babies kill each other because they saw it on Grand Theft Auto. There was little to no violence when everyone was playing Sega!
But back to sexting. When I was in school, I thought it was racy when a boy in my class sang "Bump and Grind" to me at the lunch table. If he would have given me a nude picture of himself, I probably would have screamed! Not this generation. Nope, they go touch themselves and send a pic back, then they are shocked shitless when little Billy shows anyone who will listen the message!
Here's a question that I think that no one wants to ask: what have we done to make these kids so comfortable with their bodies that they want to show someone a naked picture of themselves? Whatever happened to the security of low self-esteem? I am 25 and have NEVER done that! Of course, I am in the minority on this with my buds. I was looking at my friend's phone, pressed something, and was bombarded with a pic of her vag, up close and personal like, before attempting to escape and being accosted by a picture of her on all fours naked on her bed. But she is 25. My sister is in the 6th grade.
With the sex industry the way it is and reality TV praising nobodies that make sex tapes, it was only a matter of time before sex boiled down to this. I remember seeing a phone sex commercial late one night with women dancing in bikinis, cellphones in hand, singing about how they could text you something dirty for a buck. I laughed until I peed! What idiot would get off on text sex? Boy, was I being naive. Then, about a year or so later, I heard the phrase "sexting" on Glee, you know, the supposedly Rated G prime-time show about a high school show choir? Then Vanessa Ann Hutchins, the cutie from High School Musical got in a bind with Disney when her angry ex released sexting pictures to the internet. This also happened to Rihanna, but we expected it from her. Just recently, MTV had to address the madness and begin the A Thin Line campaign to inform the kiddies that there is a thin line between your boyfriend and the whole school, so think twice before you send out an in-the-buff photo.
Whatever happened to phone sex? Regular uncomfortable, untraceable phone sex? I guess that has gone the way of CDs and cassette players. Times are achangin', I just wish the change didn't involve saying cheese to the back of your cell phone, naked in the bathroom mirror.

No comments: