Pages

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Valentine's Day

So tomorrow is Valentine's Day. I don't really want to talk about it, but it's here, so I guess I should address it. Frankly, I have not really enjoyed this day since elementary school when it was required of everybody to give everybody a card and candy, even if they didn't like them.
I was just at the grocery store, watching people scramble to buy gifts. I don't see how they could have forgotten V-Day was coming, not with all those annoying commercials and emails. All that was left was the slim pickings, and let me tell you, nothing says "I Love You" better than those huge gross heart-shaped cookies saturated with frosting and deflating balloons.
Believe it or not, I am not bitter when it comes to Valentine's Day. Well, I used to be. This is true. But this year, I concentrated on showing love to my friends. I sent out cards and such. And I have to say, I do not feel pissed off and empty like I usually do this time of year.
And that's not to say that I wouldn't like spending the 14th in the company of a man. But I am happy and actually a little relieved about having dinner plans with my girl Erin. My heart also went pitter-pat when my friends called me with thank yous for their cards. Who knew I would reach a level of maturity where this day wasn't all about romance for me?

No comments: