Pages

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Jumping Ship

Of late I have been having conversations with women my age from all walks of life, and it seems that they have all just left or been kicked out of serious relationships. And they all say the same thing: "Like, I thought I was going to marry him." Something about being 29 makes you want to jump ship on things that are or were important to you or people feel like you have to bounce off their ship, leaving you to make new life plans. I think it's because you wake up and finally realize that old is really just a sneeze away. We were only 18 like ten minutes ago, being excused for our craziness and lack of knowledge. Now, at 29, it's like class is over and everyone is demanding to know serious things about your goals, things you may not know. And all of a sudden you don't have the time everyone talked about and ish is serious and around the corner. So you are either satisfied with the route you are going in, or you are in a frenzy to find out what your path is. In order to do this your may dump someone, get dumped, get a new job, whatever. I don't mind getting older, but I can't stand this urgency to jump into the unknown and hope that it leads to something tangible. In like 10 years I will be 40. I can't imagine being in the same space then that I am now. God, yikes.