Pages

Friday, August 7, 2015

Not So Dirty 30: Beating Bitter

I think that over exposure on social media and the old and improved art of comparing yourself to others is causing some of the women in my circle to go bitter at rapid rates. It seems like yesterday, all my friends were young and fun and able to show love and excitement for the accomplishments of others. Now, at 30, one wedding photo on Facebook can send one of my lady besties into an emotional downward spiral that ends in them spewing a gush of negativity, hatred and nastiness.
"What? _____ is getting married? To who? He must not have known she was a hoe in college! How is she married now when she was just living with _____? I mean, that was her right?" This is usually the gist of the kinder of the remarks.
Ah bitterness. It has the ability to swallow a friend whole in one big gulp with out them even knowing it. They honestly don't hear themselves as they go on and on about how ______ must have slept her way to a promotion or how they hope _______ relationship is over as soon as it begins because _____ is a bitch and her new hairdo is too young for her.
I have to admit, I am not innocent of this. I have found myself laughing at people's bridal gowns and clicking out of Facebook before the bad me takes over and begins leaving witty, rude comments under people's pictures. Writing, "Man, I wish Facebook had a dislike button," under a pic of someone's newborn may sound funny in my head but doesn't come across that way on screen.
How do you beat bitter? I am guessing seeing that I am consistently trying to outrun it myself. The positive nice people in my circle say that you have to work on being genuinely happy for others while diligently working towards your goals. Something else about positive energy coming to you when you put it out. Treat people how you want to be treated. Pretty hurts. Love is a battlefield. Blah, blah, blah.
Beating bitter is a constant battle for me, but I think I am winning. However, I have to admit, laughing at a friend's big-headed baby does brighten up my day sometimes.

No comments: