Pages

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Church Chillin'

I do believe that I mentioned my new gym friend Mony that invited me to her church. Well, after two weeks of having a heavy schedule, I was able to finally join her and her husband at the Saturday night service.
On the way to the church, I got to know Mony a bit better. She came to this country from Cambodia when she was ten and used to work for a coupon magazine until it went bust. She and her husband have been married seven years, and she just loovveess the Lord! She and her husband are just adorable. They put me in mind of those couples that are already in your picture frame when you buy it.
But back to the church. It is a relatively young church and so is the congregation. There was actually a coffee house inside with smoothies and lattes and the whole nine. The inside of the church looked like a theater, and there were two huge flat screens that played professionally made church announcement commercials. The stage had a playhouse quality backdrop created for the church's own Christian rock band.
I have to admit, I felt a wee bit out of my element. I have not listened to Christian rock since Creed broke up! The members were mostly White married couples in their mid-20s to early 30s. They all looked like what I imagined Hanson's fans to look like as adults. There was a theatrics performance and professional ballerinas and a minister that used words like 'dude' and 'bro.'
The message was about Peter being a mess up, and I actually understood it. I have to say that I liked the service. All this time, I was looking for a small Baptist church like the one I attended while in college, but I feel that I may have found a sweet church home in this huge church. I will keep you posted.

1 comment:

cellotlhicks said...

I love places like that. there is this church back home where they have every race mixed all together and people get along.I was kind of in shock. Black paster, white co-pastor, Mexican woman to the right of me, Asian in front, people mingling...and all kinds of Christian music. Sometimes different is good. I get tired of nothing but brown faces on Sunday.