Pages

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Power of Love

Like many a couch potato in the U.S. of A, I spent my Monday and Tuesday watching, you guessed it, the two-part Whitney Houston interview on Oprah. It was very refreshing to see a beautiful, aged Whitney; not the sweaty, belligerent Whitney we were all forced to get used to.
Well, as expected, she spoke on her drug use. I don't think there is a way that she can talk about her career without touching on it. She spoke about how she and Bobby would smoke weed laced with cocaine and just have a ball...until it wasn't a ball anymore and the violence, arguments, and cheating started.
One thing she said was that she had dabbled in drugs before Bobby, but smoking the coke joints was their thing; something they did together for quality time, even though it was essentially ruining their lives and careers. And even though things got really, really bad, she wanted to stay with him because she loved him and she took her vows seriously. She even quoted some Bible verses on marriage. The Bible and coke joints. Beautiful.
I guess what got to me the most about the interview is how she narrated how her life was going downhill prior to her getting clean, Bobby being a large part of the problem, yet she loved him so much she could not leave. I heard that a lot growing up. "Oh, he treats me like shit but I love him so much I can't leave." However, this is more shocking coming from a financially independent megastar like Whitney.
Maybe it is because I am green to men, but what is it about love and wanting love that will have you lose touch of what is good for yourself and allow you to follow a man straight into the ninth ring of hell? I can't rap my mind around it. Whitney Houston was, arguably, one of the world's best singers, up there with the Michael Jacksons and the Madonnas, and she tossed that all away to freebase dope with some broke nigga that had nothing to lose.What is it about love that makes a woman lose her ability to think for herself?
What is sadder than this dependent situation is leaving the man, and then going back to him for the same bull. Again, this is something I saw a lot of when I was growing up. "Oh, he has changed girl. He misses me!" Then the woman returns to business as usual. Let's just pray that Whitney does not return to Bobby, even though he was not all the problem as some are painting him to be. Perhaps, without him, she can get back to knowing herself. Plus, in the event that she reverts back to old habits, everyone knows that dipping your weed filled black and mild and dipping it in melted cocaine is a sport best done a lone.

No comments: