Pages

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Dating Game

I am totally crushin' on my friend Koya's cousin.
It's so refreshing for me to be in an "I think you're interesting and cute" crush, seeing that usually I skip this step and crash into full-blown love.
My feelings for him sprouted innocently enough at Koya's birthday dinner last year. I saw him and immediately labeled him as fine: brown, medium build, dreadlocks. But when he let it slip that he was a fan of the Punany Poets, my absolute favorite nude poetry troupe, I almost did a high kick. Plus, he kept the pictures of Sangria coming on his tab. That was a definite plus.
After seeing him last weekend, I decided that I like him enough to ask him out on a date. And no, I have never done this, but after watching him take Crown to the head in my friend's best friend's beau's kitchenette, it just felt like the right thing to do.
All my PrettyPrettyPrincess friends are stone cold against this. They do not believe that a girl should EVER ask out a man. Essentially, they all agreed that it gives the guy permission to go into the relationship as a moocher and makes the girl look desperate. They all suggested that I just flirt with him hella hard until he asks me out, but seeing that the world is ending in 2012, I simply don't have that kind of time.
I have a really good knack for not bullshitting myself. Unfortunately, I am not the type of looker that can sit on her porch in the hot Georgia sun waining through gentleman callers. I discovered in Kindergarten that I was going to have to wear my personality on my sleeve as to not get overlooked for girls with fresh L.A. Gears, dimples, and long Just For Me saturated ponytails. I am not generally shy, but I can be when it comes to men, and if I don't become proactive in my love life, I will be 40 and alone with a cobweb adorned vagina!
So with some encouraging words from some guy pals, I put Koya on the case to see what type of girl her cousin is into. If he only spends his time with Keri Hilson body doubles then I will just let the crush drop. Hopefully, we can at least go out once so that I can force him to put out after I pay for dinner. I am not sure if any of this will pan out, but I will definitely keep you posted.

No comments: