Pages

Monday, June 5, 2017

Go to Church Part 2- The Christian Dork

I was invited to a White Party to celebrate the 30th birthday of my friend Kyndra and her twin sister. I was excited to go! Although I don't look great in white, I love a good party, especially when I know for sure that there is going to be cake.
When I got to the venue with our mutual friend Sarina, I was surprised at the number of people out on the dance floor dancing clumsily while laughing and goofing around. I wasn't there long before it became obvious that I was in the company of dorks. And no, this is not a bad thing as one may think. I have always enjoyed the company of dorks. They like to have a good time and love to live like no one is watching...although everyone obviously is.
While dancing in my seat, a woman came over to me and introduced herself. She told me that her name was Marie, and asked me how I knew the twins.
"I only know one. I volunteer with Kyndra," I informed her.
"Oh cool! I go to church with them."
My heart skipped a beat. I looked past her at the dorks behind her, dancing in circles. I wasn't just in the company of dorks...I was in the company of Christian Dorks. YASSS!
If you are not sure what a Christian Dork is, you either have never been to church or you are one. They are just cool, dope, Christian people who like to act silly and are always happy and friendly. You see, I have experience with Christian Dorks. For a weird period in high school, I was one as a co-president of The Y Club.
Man, those were good times! I loved the retreats with Y-Club members from other schools where we went to Bible workshops and sang Christian songs while a cute dude with long hair jammed along on a guitar. Everyone was so nice and warm and welcoming and just apologetically dorky! At those retreats, I felt like I had found my people. I'm not sure what happened...
I had a good time, dancing and meeting Kyndra's church friends. While munching on cookies with the twins' names on them, I wondered if the fun, light-hearted, I'm not being judged feeling would be what I felt if I started going to church again. The very thought took me back to a period of time when I was 17 and actually happy; a pocket of time where my naysayer attitude had stepped to the side so I could enjoy life.
Marie invited me to their church and I just may go. She said they are Bible-focused and have a really good singles ministry. If I don't like it, I can just leave and pick up a husband on the way out.
Me and Kyndra at her birthday White Party. 

No comments: