Pages

Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Trumpet Player

I can't tell you what it is that I like about trumpet players. All I can say is that it the attraction is present and strong.
On Friday my friend Connie and I went to this music night at a salon in East Point. In short, it was pretty amazing. There was wine and Hawaiian punch. It was really a beautiful evening; a welcome smoke-free weekend outing that didn't involve being on a VIP list or standing in a line. Anywho, there was a live band and a soul singer. She was great, but I just could not take my eyes off the trumpet player.
Amongst the men in the room who were married or short or wearing thermals two sizes too small, he shined like a diamond. He wasn't extra fine or flashy, just a brotha in his late 20s in a brown v-neck and jeans (that weren't skinny and didn't sag). Watching him handle that trumpet, I just knew he was probably a good kisser; a good dancer. The salon owner said he was single, but I didn't approach. I didn't really like my outfit that night, and my fro was a bit flat.
Why are women attracted to musicians? Is it because we assume their lives are full of adventure? Their dedication to their art, even if it results in poverty? Their poetic essence? Clearly, my infatuation with them is something I could stand to get rid of, seeing that every one I have ever liked has dogged me.
But that was furthest from my mind on Friday, watching Trumpet Man do his end of the set solo. It was electric! What I would have done to be that mouth piece...

1 comment:

True2LGW said...

I hate to sound like a "mr. 'me too!'", but I also love the trumpet, as well as there scrong-lung having players...have you ever seen Mo Better Blues? It's a Spike Lee Joint about a man whose lover I would have liked to have been...and guess what? trumpet player. and lastly, it's a young, chocolate denzel washington...have mercy.AND wesley snipes' beautiful blackness.I dated a young man who played the trumpet, and that was one of the shallow reasons why I like him..he was a starving artist(producer), and he was missing a tooth, but he was such an artist to me..poor, young, me...it's all of those things though: the assumption of adventure, the poetic essence, also the faith in their potential; i find that some ladies only like the baller-shot-callers though, so it may just be us an other like us as opposed to all the ladies, you know?
p.s. most artists aren't famous until they're dead...damn.