Pages

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Little Nickies



When I went to NYC last month, I was walking through Harlem with Fran and was dumbfounded by the amount of women and girls with Nickin Minaj wigs on- blond, pink, and even green hair! Watching a girl, dressed normally with a platinum weave, Fran goes, "It's another Nicki."

I laughed, happy I was going back to Atlanta, where girls rocked lace fronts.

Clearly, while I was away, this horrifying trend took a red eye to the A. Today on the train I saw a GROWN woman in a black and pink bob wig in her airport work uniform. More shocking than her hair style was that she was able to keep a job with her hair like that.

Question: has everyone missed the point? Nicki Minaj is a character! I watched her little music doc on MTV, and she didn't dress all crazy until it was time to perform or do promotions. Any other time, it was jeans and heels- normal hair. The public's inability to be see this is even more alarming than running into a tween at the bus station with hot pink tracks, believe it or not. Must we take everything at face value??

Well, I guess I should just be happy that the little girl down the street is dancing in her front yard with a teal hair piece on and in not butt pads. Thank God for the small favors.

No comments: