Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Pep Talk

Yesterday night, my friend Sash and I had our monthly pep talk. You know what I'm talking about. The 'girl, you don't need him...the right guy is out there...we will get married one day...no you don't need to lose weight...you should try painting your nails...God has a plan for us....we are fly, damn it!' pep talks that girl bffs tend to give each other from time to time. Although draining, it is a necessity. I know for a fact that if Sash and I didn't have these talks on a regular basis, I would want to check out of life completely. These conversations provide me with the lies that I need to keep moving forward.
Anywho, last night I gave her a pep talk on why it could possibly be reversible that she played off the 'are we together' conversation with her boytoy(sike!), and she told me that I shouldn't stop trying to date just because men suck(bs). And as I was talking to her, pealing potatoes to go in my green beans, a horrifying thought came to me: "Sash, what if we are like 35 still having to give each other these pep talks? What if we are 35 and still are not married?"
And she was like, "Girl, that won't happen."
Lies. But one of those necessary lies you have to tell yourself to do life like, "Child birth won't hurt...you can't tell I've gained weight if I suck in my stomach...I can get my taxes done if I start the day before they are done."
Most of the women in my life over 40, including my mom, are single, and have been single for a LONG time. So the only role models that I have are Kerri, Miranda, and Charlotte, and they were in their 40s before they found true love. And that is fake life. In real life, if you are not engaged by the time you graduate college, dating is going to be a nightmare.
But who needs honesty from their friends? Real life is the truth and a real kick in the face. It is the morning after our conversation and my pep is already wearing off. Perhaps we should go from once a month to once a day.

No comments: