Pages

Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Not Another Grad School Post

Sigh. Barf. Gag.
The end of the year is here and it's time to make those pertinent yet annoying resolutions that I am not going to work on that are going to make me feel like a loser this time next year.
Yawn. Yuck. Ew.
Since I graduated from college, the biggest thing that I have gone back and forth about in my life is whether or not I want to go to grad school. When I was 24, the answer was no, and three weeks shy of 33 the answer is still no. Just thinking about those GRE flashcards from hell is making me cringe as I type this.  I am not a good test taker! But here is the thing: life isn't all about what you want to do.
You see, some things haven't panned out the way that I wanted them to. For one, I am not a rich and famous journalist. That was the Plan A. I am also not close to Plan B, which is marrying someone rich that would provide me with a lifestyle so fabulous that I would forget that I am not on CNN. So as these things are not happening, what am I supposed to do? Chill and wait for something amazing to fall out of the sky? I hate to get biblical here, but didn't Jesus say something about God helping those that get off of their lazy butts and study for a test that they'd rather not take to get into a grad school that they can not afford to become something that they don't want to be?
I wish I knew how to multi-task and plan ahead. When I was in my 20s and had the energy, I should have been doing my journalism thing while getting an advanced degree in something that could cushion me or further me along in some way. Unfortunately, I have always been an all-in dreamer type of a girl. I put all my eggs in one basket and crossed my fingers, hoping for the best.
The good news is that I think that I am still young enough to correct this. The bad news is that I don't have the energy to. Ugh, damn my dreamer spirit! I mean, I don't think I would be a bad social worker or kiddie shrink. I have this weird interest in urban planning that could probably take me places in a city like Atlanta if I applied myself. These careers would also provide me with the coin needed to get out of some debt and have a half decent standard of living. But I probably wouldn't write as much, and even though I'd be career-winning, I'd feel like I was emotionally losing if I wasn't living my dream.
Adulting is hard. A lot of thinking and decision making goes into becoming the macaroni with the cheese.
I think that it is best that I am practical and at least do some things that will provide me with some options. Sadly, this includes looking into grad school programs. If I get into some place by the fall I can be on my way to having a real adult life by 35. I'm talking zero balances and home ownership. Hopefully, my sell-out job will give me health insurance and enough time to update this blog on my lunch break.

No comments: