Pages

Thursday, December 28, 2017

They Don't Dance Nomore

I talked to Robin Mercury last night!
This is big news because I don't get to talk to her too often. She lives in California and she is super busy but let me tell you, she is one of the best friends a girl can have! She knows how to do hair and she won't charge you to hook you up! She will party with you on Saturday and go to church with you on Sunday. I mean really, she is amazeballs. She is also an artist and a really good dancer, yet she told me during our convo that she is no longer drawing or dancing.
"What?!" I cried when she told me.
"I know, but I don't have time," she said, braiding some weave into her hair. We were using that Facebook chatty video thingy.
Robin's story is not unlike many of ours. Bills and obligations have made work a priority and all those eccentricities that made us cool girls have no place in our lives as women.
I can connect with this. When I was younger, I LOVED to read. I mean, I could finish the fattest book in the world in a day. I had all the series. I would thirst for literature. But now I have no time to read the way that I would like.
Is this a strictly female issue? I ask because I don't have time to read because I am working, but my brother works, a horrible overnight shift at that, and he still makes time to play his PS4, even if this means he only gets mere minutes of rest before he has to clock in again.
Is this what Aunty Maxine Waters was talking about when she said she was trying to reclaim her time? Is she making time to meditate in between debates and interviews on Capitol Hill?
Maybe I can get in a few pages of a book a night before I go to bed. Anything to refresh my inner girl.

No comments: