Pages

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Cell Detail

A couple of days ago I got a new phone, and can I just say that I love it! The last two phones I'd had were the same and went cuplunk for the same reasons. Finally, readjusting my budget for the month, I decided that I had to get a more current phone; one that actually played ringtones and didn't embarrass me.
So I danced on down to Best Buy and got this adorable little palm phone that looks a lot like a Blackberry but isn't of course. I raced home to play with it and went through my contact list. Most of the people listed don't call me, I don't call them, or I don't remember. So logically, seeing that I got this phone, I decided to start off clean and clear out some of my dead-weight contacts.
I couldn't.
Out of 211 contacts, I could not erase one. I still have the phone numbers of girls I had horrible friend break-ups with that I have no intention of ever calling. There are still numbers for dudes I met at greasy New Orleans bars that I never called. I have even managed to hang on to the old numbers of friends who have changed their numbers. I don't know. Somewhere in the back of my mind I feel like they are going to change their numbers back or something.
After going through the contact list about four times I took a deep breath and decided that I was being stupid. I had to get rid of some of the numbers. But all I kept hearing in my mind was, "Don't erase her! What if you have to call her for something?," or "Don't get rid of him! What if you go back to that side of town again and want to go have dinner of something?"
In all honesty, it boils down to me not being able to let go. I have discussed it with you guys in other posts. I cling to everything from mementos to trash, usually afraid that one day it will become of use. Another big issues is that if I get rid of all the useless contacts, I will have to come to terms with who my real friends are. If I did the type of SIMS card cleaning I need to do, I would have less than a hundred contacts. I don't know. I like feeling like I know a lot of people, or like a lot of people know me.
Still scrolling down the contact list, I became irritated with myself. Deep down, I knew having all these numbers was stupid. Half of the people I could not even remember meeting. So after a small pep talk, I erased one number. Immediately, I felt refreshed and liberated. I was only 99 contacts from having a clutterless life!
Unfortunately, that number was the only one I erased that day. But it felt good. Perhaps this is something I will have to accomplish in baby steps.

No comments: