Pages

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Sundays with Mony

I few posts back I mentioned a woman who came and prayed over me while I was on the treadmill. After having a few other encounters with her, I found that her name is Mony. She is a very adorable very fit little Asian woman, probably in her early 30s, that has a Southern accent. Something about Asian people with Southern accents tickles me.
Well, yesterday, during my tread from Hell, she came over to give me some encouraging words. Usually, I hate it when people cheer me on as I work out, but I did need the push. Ten minutes into my work out I wanted to cry and throw the treadmill up against the mirror in front of the machine, the lovely three-way mirror that documents the sweat, sadness, and strain on your face.
So Mony and I spark up a convo, and she invites me to her church on Sunday. Usually, I would decline a church invite, but Mony seems really nice so I accepted, even though my Aunty warned me that they are rumored to speak tongues at her church.
The last time I went to someone's church on an invite, the church ended up being creepy. It was one of those churches that you can tell used to be a car wash or something, and the members did weird chants that I was NOT familiar with. Truth be told, I have not had a stable church home since I lived in New Orleans. Many of my friends didn't like the church I attended there, primarily since the preacher didn't really...preach. I didn't care though. The people were nice. I liked to see everyone's outfits, and there was music. Don't forget the music!
Plus, I find that just going there every Sunday did something for my spirit. I was happier when I went to church. I did not feel as alone, whether I was really taking anything away from the services or not. Now, living at home and always being broke and annoyed has REALLY worn on my spirit. It is past due time to head back to church.
I will let you know how it goes. Hopefully, this church is normal. I don't know if I can be a member of a church where they make human sacrifices or use snakes or ask you for your W2s before you join. You never know these days in the A.

1 comment:

cellotlhicks said...

I hope it goes well too. I met this pastor the other day, had dinner with my friend, her man (the pastors son) and the pastors wife. I was actually surprised at how down to earth and, well, regular they were. It was refreshing. They were some of the most sincere people I have met.

Its funny how a process like weight loss can open you up in so many ways. I prayed b4 I started this time, and I realize how many things tied into my periods of gluttony and the way I looked @ myself. Even though I am only halfway to my goal, I love myself more than I ever have...
Good luck with that church. Even if it is not the one for you, I pray you find another one where you can get fed.