Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A Snow Job

Connie and I have officially been locked in the house for two days. I fear that if the roads aren't clear enough for her to go to work and for me to simply take my daily trek to the mailbox, our house will quickly become a scene from The Shining.
At first the snow was pretty, and the kids were outside playing, and it was a welcome change from our usual boring winters. But yesterday felt different. You could feel that people were pissed and annoyed that they couldn't get to work and that their kids got yet another day out of school.
Unfortunately, Connie and I had to venture out of the house to go get toilet paper. She fell, and we witnessed a truck roll backwards when trying to accelerate up a very small hill. A five minute walk to the drugstore took 30 minutes each way, and when I walked in the house, I fell to my knees and kissed dry land!
I thought I would take a break from my frozen life and turn on CNN. Big mistake. The news just kept playing reels of Southerners acting like goofs, rolling around in the snow like it was gold; oohing and ahhing at it in their hands like they had never even heard of it.
I want my mail. The garbage can is full and needs to be picked up. I want to walk to the drugstore without needing skis. It is time for the snow to melt.

No comments: