Pages

Thursday, October 1, 2009

The High School Rule

Lately, I have been getting a lot of friend requests from people on Facebook who I went to high school with. I almost always accept these requests even though high school is a time that I have tried my hardest to forget. To put it nicely, I was a social recluse with little to no friends that spent her spare time writing and playing the bass in the orchestra.
Yet even though I try to forget this time, I find myself going back there mentally, especially to the bad places, the more successful I get. And I find that those four years have played a bigger part into who I am than I would care to admit.
So recently I was telling my friend Chloe that I am trying to get over the stresses of high school because I find that just reminiscing about those dark days makes me angry. I shared with her that a way that I planned on doing is this is by forgiving some of the people who made this time particularly miserable, and she goes, "What does it matter? It's not like anything you do in high school matters."
This was shocking for me to hear, seeing that every insult, every rude remark, every joke cracked, and every finger pointed mattered to me.
I don't know. Just thought that was interesting.

No comments: