Pages

Monday, October 5, 2009

Nuptial Nonscense

I thought I was through with Kim from the Real Housewives of Atlanta, walking around with a wine glass in one hand and a cig in the other, bragging in front of her children about how she is dating a "legally married" man. I have even been beyond through with Lil' Kim, who, 'til this day, walks around talking about how much she was in love with her abuser, the infamous Biggy, and how he was going to commit to her...as if he was not married with children. I don't care if he did only know Faith for a second before he proposed. A ring outweighs a fling.
So being done 2x over, I did not think it was possible to be any...done-r, that is, until I heard about this drama with Alicia Keys, her not-so-divorced beau Swiss Beatz, and his not-so-ex wife Mashonda. Apparently, Keys has been talkin' to Swiss since before the divorce came into play and Mashonda, wanting to save her marriage ( and most likely a couple of Gs) tried to reach out to Keys and nip it in the bud before her marriage completely went south. Keys did not respond, but recently wrote a Tweet about love, which, coincidently, got Mashonda's attention.
According to my fellow bloggers, the Keys Tweet wrote: "Having a heated debate in the studio. [In] love is it better to [go] for the choice that is 'SMART,' or the choice that has 'SPARK?' "
This no doubt got 'Shonda's (I'm sure her close friends called her that in middle school, Shonda) coals 'a burnin'. She decided to respond to Keys in an open letter in which she stated, "My concern with AK is no longer the fact that she assisted in destroying a family but that she has the audacity to make these selfish comments about love and wanting to be with someone, even after knowing their situation. How is this the same Superwoman that I sang out loud with in my truck?"
Of course, Shonda had a lot more to say, but I have to agree with this particular passage. I, as a Keys fan who has no say in her personal affairs, am saddened by all of this. As asked best by Shonda, how is this the same Keys that writes toe-tappers about female empowerment? She is not like the two Kims mentioned earlier. She has class. This is just baffling.
Now I bet some of you all just want to charge this to the love game, but I must plead that you not even try it. I am not from the school of "The heart wants what the heart wants" because, for lack of a better word, it is bullshit. There is a rhyme and a reason and an order to the world, especially when it comes to sensitive topics such as adultery and dating married men. With this in mind, I am more from the school of "What someone will do with you, they will do to you." I am in no way wishing a broken heart on Keys, but I can tell from 'Diary' alone that she is well aware of this.
It is yet to be seen what will happen with Swiss and Keys, or SwissKeys if you will, because no one is talking from their camps. Probably because it is what it looks like, and there is nothing to say. In that case, keep your lips sealed. All I have to say is that I know love and its allure is strong, but building a respectable name and reputation for yourself takes years and can be diminished in a split second. Because of this and my moral beliefs, there is no way I can get caught up in someone else's nuptial nonsense.

No comments: