Pages

Monday, November 30, 2009

The Oversexed Mess

Although I participated in sex education when I was in grade and middle school, I got my more "graphic" sex education from HBO's Real Sex like most young, unsupervised kids with basic cable back in the day. When no one was looking, I also had this bad habit of turning to the Spice Network and buying Black erotic literature with the months of saved change I got from doing odd chores. I say this to ask this: Why do oversexed MTV videos offend me? Perhaps I have been overly sex exposed and I'm just exhausted with the whole scene, but at the age of nine, watching 50-year-old swingers get it on on Real Sex did not bother me as much as any Lady Gaga video does today. Ginuwine somehow did not seem as in-your-face as Pleasure P. Madonna has been kissing girls since the early 90s, but Katy Perry makes me a little uneasy. Maybe I am so creeped out because of the imbalance. When I was a kid, there were 99 Brandis for every 1 Madonna. Today there are 99 Britney Spears' for every 1 Taylor Swift. This is too much, even for me! I predict that in ten more years, there will be a music video where Lil' Wayne drizzles dollar bills on the head of a stripper who is licking Korbel off of his wewe and I will not be phased. By this time I will be effectively desensitized. Not sure if this is a good thing or not.

No comments: