Pages

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Crab in the Barrel

Ah, your girlfriends. If you do not have them, then who do you have? I have known many a girl who has coughed up that line about not wanting female friends because they are bratty and chatty and annoying. I have also found in my personal experiences that these same girls are usually the same ones that get ran through by their circle of supposedly less bratty, chatty, and annoying male buddies. However, these girls are right about one thing: girls are naturally jealous creatures.
I do not care who you are, the type of girl who watches Sex in the City reruns in her Gap pajamas or the type who paints her nails black, streaks her hair purple, and listens to The Cool Kids on replay, it is hard for you to be happy for your girls when something good, especially a man, comes her way.
Where is this coming from? Well, my friend Essie called me tonight to rant about how her best friend was totally pouring haterade on the fact that she is going to visit her little phone beau. Apparently, he is flying her out there. And her best friend, being a girl, responded to the exciting news by hanging up on her.
Now, many of us chicas would not have responded quite so harshly. We would have at least had the decency to be fake happy. But when it comes to guys, unless we are currently entertaining one ourselves, we are totally sour grapes on our homegirls.
What is the solution? I can not say. But I have a theory on the root of the problem: perhaps our irritation with homie hook-ups lies in the FACT that good men are soooo hard to come by. Two of your girls are beaued up. Why not you? You hang with and look like them; same values. Why are you alone?
Whatever the reason, you end up bitter. At this point in life, most women my age can swallow it and keep trekking, keeping their fingers crossed that they find someone, but eventually you become the girl that hangs up on friends who have good news while you are at home watching Waiting to Exhale.
So how do I stop from being the crab in the barrel when it comes to celebrating the new relationships of my girls? I just know that it will one day happen for me...and I fight the urge to hang up the phone.

No comments: