Pages

Thursday, July 30, 2009

The "Trick" and the Truth

So the other night I was talking to "Sorta Beau," you know, the guy I was talking to who got some other chick pregnant? After our usual every other night hour phone cake session, I came to a conclusion: every man has a thing. And not thing as in penis, because they all have that, or at least should have that, but thing as in the little sweet personality quirk that sets them apart from other guys. Sorta Beau's thing? Telling half-truths of course!
First, let me start off by stating that I am a journalist. My job is to ask questions. I have been trained to filter people's answers to these questions in order to get the truth. So understand that when I asked Sorta Beau questions, I weened through the answers, and concluded that he was telling me the truth. However, after our last convo, I see that this guy has been able to get over on me by not giving the full story, or the full answer, usually leaving out the most important part.
Example?
Me (Late May)-So why did you and your fiance (his ex) break up?
Sorta: She was cheating on me...
Me(Mid June)-Say, since your ex cheated on you, have you been tested for STDs and stuff?
Sorta: Yep. I came back negative. My tests results were good.
Me(Late July)-Since you got this new girl pregnant(who is not his ex-fiance as lead earlier to believe, but another girl) have you been tested recently?
Sorta: Oh yeah, did I tell you about that?
Me: About what?
Sorta: About how a while back my ex called and asked me if I had cheated on her while we were together?
Me: No. Why did she ask you that?
Sorta: Because she got tested and it came back positive.
Me: Positive?! For what!
Sorta: Oh, for trick.
Half -truths. See what I mean?
"Trick." I had never heard of it, but apparently, it's a trip. Trichomonas is its Christian name. Google it. It's a fun, toe-curling read.
Can I just say that I have truly dodged a bullet here. Thank God for abstinence! Who the hell knows what other health issues this dude may or may not have that he wasn't going to tell me until he felt it mattered, like after we were "together"?
What is the lesson that the naive city girl learned from this situation? Never fully believe what a man tells you, because you don't know what he's not telling you. Don't allow a man to "trick" you, pun intended.

No comments: