Pages

Friday, July 24, 2009

The Rules

Many of my closest friends, especially on a collegiate level, have been boys.
They are good listeners, attentive, adorably oblivious, and funny. The beauty of my platonic boy-girl relationships is that they are just that. There is none of that thick, icky, yucky, sticky emotional goo on top, just the cake that is a meaningful friendship...well, at least not on their end.
Yet sadly, many of my little friendships have come to a screeching halt when the boy involved finds a not so platonic girl, usually equipped with glossed lips and a fat butt.
I am not against my male buds finding beaus. It's bound to happen. What bugs me is the new rules that come along with it.
Let's create an imaginary boy buddy. Let's call him Harry. You and Harry are the hetero Will and Grace, inseparable. However, once Harry meets Sally, you best believe that you will go from talking to Harry everyday to solely hearing from him in between fucks. And when you do talk to him, he will go on and on about how Sally is the best thing since over-the-counter yeast infection medicine.
Then you don't want to call Harry because you don't want to bud into his Sally time. And then you don't want to rub Sally wrong because then she will tell Harry to cut you off. And he won't cut you off...officially. He will text you when Sally goes to pee or is looking for her car keys. But he can not call you, because if she sees your number in his call history, she won't have sex with him. It's a mess.
But as a professional boy best friend, even these unbelievably irritating things don't get to me. I guess in the back of your mind, you figure Sally will meet Henry and dump Harry, and then things will go back to normal.
And sometimes that happens. Yet this year, a couple of times, I have been introduced to a new scenario: When Harry marries Sally. I have found that this situation has no rules. Once they tie the knot, unless you are a mutual friend of them both, which you probably won't be, you can kiss Harry bye-bye.
I don't know what bothers me most about this: how easy it is for friendships you assume are tight to just evaporate, or the possibility that someone you considered a friend 'til the end was not?
So I guess this is the question: what are platonic female friends to males? Are they actually friends, or are they homieCheck Spellings with vaginas you keep around for support until you find a girlfriend? I can only go into these friendships as I do every other one, wanting to get to know the other person and wanting to make a connection of some sort. However, I guess another boy buddy I once had in high school said it best, before he dumped me for some cheerleader with glossed lips and a fatbutt: " 'Vagina your getting regularly is always going to overrule friend vagina you are not interested in." As grim as this is, I guess I would have to agree. Perhaps the goal is to be the regular vagina and not the friend one. Is it possible to be both? This I will tell you when I find out, hopefully sooner than later before another boy buddy jumps the broom.

No comments: