Pages

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Fear and Loafing in L.A.

This is a festive tale about a chubby girl who decided to go to L.A. with thirty-two dollars for a weekend to go to the BET Awards.
Well, luckily my first hotel had free breakfast. I would take that food to my room to also have for lunch, so that way I only had to buy dinner. Luckily, there was a Taco Bell and a McDonald's right next door.
I had no rental car which is fine, because I can not drive. So I had to take the gross, gross, gross, and dirty Los Angeles transit to the Shrine Auditorium to pick up my credentials and to attend the awards. Man, I thought I had seen some harsh neighborhoods in the past. People were living in some of the worst shit holes I had ever seen. I spent the rides with my head down, listening to my fellow riders curse out their boyfriends on the phone and talk about how easy it is to the rob the grocery store.
So I'd calculated the bus rides would cost 10 dollars. However, after the show, I looked in my wallet to see that I was fifty cents short to get back. So I had to ask what I was pretty sure was a pimp for some change. He gave me thirty-five cents. Then, when I transferred buses, a kind spirited drunk who had the must of ten men and beaded chin hair gave me fifteen cents so that I could get back to the hotel.
The next day, as I shared with you, the plane engine blew up, so the airline put me up at the Westin that almost would not let me check in because I did not have a credit card they could hold for incidentals. Once I checked in, I went to McDonald's and overdrafted my account just to get a McChicken and fries for dinner.
Living meal to meal was kind of fun this weekend, but I never ever want to try it again in L.A.

No comments: