Pages

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Friend Crush

I think, no, I know, that I am developing a friend crush. Like many other diseases, a friend crush is most treatable if diagnosed early. I would say that I am in stage 2.5. I think there is still room for reversal, fingers crossed.
If you didn't know I will tell you: friend crushes are the poison that I am sure are responsible for more than half of opposite sex friend dismantlements. They never work out, and once you have put those feelings in the air, you can not take them back. The friendship is doomed. Sadly, there is a lot of bad information out there about this epidemic, especially from those who grew up on shows like Dawson's Creek where the friend crush was glamorized. Don't eat the friend crush cookies: those shows were fiction.
I have suffered from getting friend crushes for more than half of my life, so I know what I am talking about. And I have found that taking these steps are the most suitable form of treatment:
Acknowledgement: You have to first admit that you have a friend crush. Most people don't shed tears of joy just because their friend has called them. Face the music, you have a crush.
Idol Preoccupation: The key is directing your love for this friend towards an idol that you could never obtain; a person you can crush on with no repercussion. My go-tos are D'Angelo and Boris Kodjoe.
Slight Detachment: Don't ignore your friends, just back up a little. Maybe you guys don't have to talk EVERYDAY and yes, texts do count as talking.
Depending on how emo you are over the crush, these steps can clear up the situation in days or months. I am banking on a week. That is all the time I can a lot myself to get over something else silly I have put myself through.