Pages

Friday, December 17, 2010

Ho No!

What is being a ho exactly? Is it just something that boys and conservatives created to make women resent their sexuality? Is it what you do or is it how you feel? I ask this because I have recently made two new gal pals. We shall call them...um...Swisha and Sweet. During a convo we recently had, this topic was on the table.
Let me set the scene...we were drinking, lol, drikin' and chattin,' when Sweet says that you are a ho if you have slept with as many people as your age. She has not done that yet...but she is close. She is 25. Let's say that she has been having sex since she was about 19. I didn't get the feeling that she was too proud about this, but just statin' the facts.
Then there was Swisha, a go-getter, who has no problem asking or reaching for what she wants...even if it is a penis. She is a self admitted nempho that has admittedly had sex with dudes in relationships. She's had her weeks when she has done different dudes throughout the week. Whatever. She likes sex, so what? Unlike other girls like her I have met, she is completely capable of being in a relationship and staying faithful. No prob. But when it's over, it's over, and she is back on the market. Now, she will not have sex with just anyone. I got the feeling most of these dudes were friends. If you ask her for sex, she will say no. But, admittedly, if you ask her enough, she will cave if she likes you. I found her candidness, dare I say, liberating?
Now, to many of you reading, you would identify these women as hoes, eventhough you do not know them. But Sweet said something interesting: "I guess I have done some ho stuff, been with a lot of dudes, but I don't feel like one."
Hm.
Shouldn't it always be about what you feel about yourself? Like, if Sweet had done 5000 dudes, shouldn't that be fine if she didn't feel bad about it? Would you say that Swisha is a ho because she doesn't feel bad about her encounters? Is the remedy for being a ho having regrets or showing remorse?
I was once guilty of this type of thinking. But I have realized something over the past few months...I am grown! My friends are grown. Sometimes grown people get horny and have sex with men they don't like or necessarily know, and that has to be OK. I am not saying that we should chuck morality to the dogs, but shouldn't morality, much like being a ho, be in the eyes of the beholder?

No comments: