Pages

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

OA

"Have you ever thought of going to an Overeaters Anonymous class?"
I was about two seconds away from going to sleep in the hot tub at the gym. "What?"
"I go," the woman said, an older White woman with gray hair and distinct gray streaks in her eyebrows.
I was quiet. I did not know how to respond. I was more annoyed by her interrupting my sleep than I was that she asked me such a weird question.
"We have the classes every Sunday at 5pm at the hospital. It's free of charge. All they ask is that you maybe donate $2 so that they can continue to rent the room."
"Overeaters Anonymous," I repeated.
"Yes ma'am, I am an overeater," she said proudly.
"These meeting...will there be food?"
"No!" She laughed. I laughed. I was not offended by this woman, probably because I am an overeater and because old women have said more out of pocket things to me. Plus, she had a kind spirit.
She described the group to me, a bunch of fatties, former fatties, and binge eating, deathly thin people who come together once a week for support.
Right now, I am not really thinking about how I may benefit from this class. I am a writer. I am going for the cool stories I am going to hear. The man who overate as a kid because he was lonely. The lady that overeats because she can't get a date. I also can't wait to openly blame my mom for my fatness, something I have always wanted to do!
Yes, I think that this is going to be a fun and maybe even beneficial experience. I will keep you posted.

No comments: