Pages

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Rejecting the Rejection

Maybe three months ago I shared with Fran and Waddles a story that I heard from Dr. Schuller on The Glass Cathedral. Hey! Don't judge me. He talks some real stuff and I like his voice. Anywho, he told a story about this boy who applied to his dream college and got denied admission. So he sent the college a letter, told them that he rejected their rejection, and that he was coming for Freshman Orientation. We thought that was funny, primarily because that would never fly.
So as you all know, this P situation had me down all last month. P- the boy who told me he didn't want to "talk to me for a while." I replayed that text over and over in my mind- not just the text but the whole situation- until it didn't make sense; until it felt like a dream. Finally, I went to my friend Dorothy for advice, who told me to put his number on my reject list on my phone.
"When he calls you again, if he calls you again, you don't need to be available for him."
True dat. Maybe putting the number on the reject list would be better, seeing that I had tried to erase it, and that just made me cry.
So the week before last, I took a deep breath and put his number on the rejection list. I instantly felt relieved. I wasn't worried about his calling, because if he did, I wouldn't get the call anyway, and I doubt that he has, and that is OK.
But don't cheer for my minor victory too much...he is still my Facebook friend and I still have his email address and I still know like most of his friends, lol. And, if he called me today, if he wasn't automatically rejected, I would answer on the first ring.
I miss him ya'll. And besides all the romantic feelings I had for him that I talked myself into believing were no more, I just enjoyed him being my buddy, you know? And I was a good friend, not trying to get with him or anything and listening to his issues, because that's what buddies do. But he rejected me over some ish that was on him! Well sorry, I have cried too much then I care to admit. I had to take steps to reject his rejection.

No comments: