Pages

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Notes from the Elder 2: Yucky Old Men

When I was a kid growing up in East Point, there was a man in my neighborhood I would see around that would always ask me what I learned in school. And he would want a real answer, so I would always think of something to say while I was on the school bus just in case I saw him. I was incredibly distrustful of men in my community, but he was cool. Fast forward maybe about 10 years, I found myself dodging him. He went from asking me about homework to wanting to know if I had a boyfriend and if I wanted one. He would look at me funny. It was really inappropriate, and I remember feeling like he had only taken an interest in me in the beginning just so I could get barely legal and he could try to smash me. I was soooo disappointed.
Yesterday, at the laundry mat, I met a guy that reminded me of him, only he was hella old and REEKED of alcohol...before noon. He was being really flirty with me, and I responded by half smiling and texting in his face, not really paying attention. But boy oh boy, did he like looking at the teen cursing girls. At one point, I got a glimpse of him literally staring at one girl's booty with his mouth opened.
Fast forward to last night. At the bus station, there were two girls that were clearly 14. I assume they were about this age because, listening to their conversation, they were saying that they wanted to go to the movies, but wanted to go to a theatre at a mall where there was a Claire's. Claire's? They had to be tweens...although one of them was incredibly STACKED! She had huge boobs and a huge behind which was a real attention getter, seeing that she was wearing leggings as pants. Yet still, I could tell by her braces and gum smacking that she was in fact a kid. This didn't stop the men at the station from grabbing at her yelling gross phrases at her and her buddy.
So here is the question: when did the older Black man go from the leader of the community to the predator? Or has he always been both and I am just now old enough to notice? Either way, yikes! Just another community issue to add to the list.

No comments: