Pages

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Book Review: Jamie Loves Her Natural Hair


I got so excited when I was I strolling on Instagram and saw that Ariane Roberts of BlackNaps.org had written a children's book, Jamie Loves Her Natural Hair. The work she has done on her website has given so much inspiration to women with natural hair, I just couldn't wait to see what she had for the natural kiddies. 
In short, the book is adorable. Narrated by little naturalista Jamie, the book discusses her favorite styles and how in love she is with her do. Even as a child, she encounters curl haters, but that's okay, because she loves her look!
For me, the overall theme of the book was confidence and being okay with looking different than others. Through this book, Roberts encourages curly young girls to embrace their hair, and I stand behind her in this mission. I can't help but think that if books like Jamie Loves Her Natural Hair would have been around when I was growing up, I could have avoided scalp burns and over 20 years of hair hate! 

No comments: