Pages

Saturday, May 1, 2010

School House Rock

I have been wanting to go to graduate school for like three years. At this point I am annoyed because, if I would have gone when I was supposed to, I would be done by now! Yeah, yeah, it's never too late. Tell that to the 30-year-old that is scheduling her Internet grad courses around breastfeeding.
Here is the thing: I know that having a graduate degree will make me more competitive in our poo-poo job market. I get it. But I can not decide if I really want to go to grad school or if I just want to go...for fun?
OK, $30, 000+ in adjustable interest rate loans is a pretty expensive good time. But I am realizing, after talking to a lot of my friends that are just now graduating, that the last time I was truly happy was when I was in school. Since then, I have been on a pretty exhausting emotional and professional roller coaster, documented on this here blog.
Then there is the age factor. Yes, I know that I am young. They tell me I am. But I feel too old to be getting back into the swing of things, even though deep down I know that that is ridiculous. Even thinking about moving and coming up with money and going to classes again is tiring at best.
I guess time will tell, but time needs to start now. I don't want to be the breastfeeding 30-year-old.

1 comment:

Sunira said...

Hey Holly!
Not sure if you remember me but we had high school orchestra together. I've been following your blog for a while. It's got a unique point of view. :)

Anyway, I totally agree with the graduate school thing. Watching the job market recently has made me understand how competitive we need to be, especially as working women, on paper. Undergrad is like high school now. Everyone and their mother is out getting graduate school degrees. I'm planning on getting my MBA too. A lot of workplaces take care of some of the cost. I'm hoping to take advantage of that myself.

Anyway good luck in your post-grad endeavors!

Anyway, the comment system doesn't allow me to leave my website. It's unbrokenhorse.com if you're ever interested in dropping by.