Pages

Friday, May 7, 2010

Apologize

Today I went to NY and Co. for their 50% off sale. I know that I can not fit the clothes, but they have some of the BEST accessories. As I fished through the faux pearls and diamondoid earrings, I noticed a woman come in with her two small sons. I really didn't pay them any mind. I was way too fixated on the cheap plastic jewelry.
"Ma, look at that big lady!" the smallest kid exclaimed, pointing at me.
I could feel the store freeze for a second, the other shoppers holding their breath to see how I was going to react. I pretended not to hear, trying a fake flower ring on my stubby finger. I am not new to this. Kids say rude stuff to me all the time. Seeing that I was not phased, the rest of the store went on with their lives.
Then, as I am going through a rack of headbands (my eye on this simple patent leather one) I see the little boy who had called me out standing right in front of me. His mother looked furious, he had been crying, and the other little boy looked bored.
"He said something very rude to you," the mom said. She yanked the boy's arm. "Apologize," she demanded in that low, robotic, angry mom voice.
I figured she had taken him out of the store to spank him. I could tell that everyone was staring.
"I'm sorry," he said softly.
I looked at his tear-stained face and runny nose and realized that we had one thing in common: his mother had just humiliated the both of us.

2 comments:

Sunira said...

I know, seriously, sometimes people are so stupid. Doesn't she realize that this made her no better than her little boy? At least the boy was little. She's an adult!

I wonder if people even think these days.

Anonymous said...

How did the mom humiliate you? By making her son apologize? IMO, she did the right thing. Her son, should not have said anything like that out loud. She made him own up for what he said, maybe he'll learn a bit more tolerance and keep his words to himself in public.