Pages

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Up and Out

Yesterday I talked to my mom for about 30 minutes as I do every day after she watches Paternity Court. I told her about how one of my married couple friends is trying to have a baby and she goes, "Wow, all your friends are moving up and out."
"What does that mean?"
"They are getting married and having kids. Don't you want those things?"
Pause. My mom hasn't asked me a personal question since the 7th grade when she asked me if I got my period.
And I told her what I tell myself everyday as we approach the eve of my 29th birthday. I am broke. I don't have a boyfriend. I have a roommate. No savings. No car and at times, no sense of direction. I live in consistent fear that I am going to lose my job or better, lose my mind, and people have the nerve to ask me about babies and husbands?
Let me say that I am girl, so I do fantasize about girl stuff, like what my baby and husband will look like, but that is as far as it goes. I don't want to bring any innocent bystanders into this chaos. I'd gracefully exit if I had those cool contacts that can make you a new identity. I think the first time around I aimed to high. I'd ask to work at a garden or a gas station or something for my second chance.
I digress.
If my mom is asking questions then I really must be behind. I wish life could be like the fifth grade where, if you were behind in math, they gave you something fun to do while the smart kids studied math at their level.